Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Architectural Analogy

             When I was in high school I don’t appreciate buildings and places because I think it is all the same. My uncle and aunt, who happen to be an architect and an interior designer respectively, influence me to take up architecture. When I saw some of their works in Wellington New Zealand, it inspires me to create one of a kind design of a house that’s why I continue to take up BS Architecture. During these days I don’t really know what architecture is all about.  Now, what is architecture for me?
There are lots of definition for certain word, just like what my professor in English 1 said in one of our class, “It is hard to define a word because for every year it changes for people has their own meaning for it.” I know that some architects have their own meaning for architecture, for example the students, who are struggling with this course, will probably define architecture as something that makes their life miserable. The professionals will probably define architecture as something to be fun because you can earn lots of money, but my uncle and aunt said, “Architecture is creativity combined with art and science intelligently made visible by time, lines and spaces.” In my own experience and as what I’ve been observing for the past few months, architecture for me is like a fashion.
            Architecture is like a fashion because I notice that for every year the design trends change. I also define it as a fashion because buildings and dresses are being use by people. As what Park says in an article, "Fashion fulfils its fundamental function when worn by humans. Whether that function is to protect the body or to create a symbolic meaning, it displays its worth when met by a body."[1] In architecture, architects build buildings for specific use, its usage fulfils when it is use by people in a way it should be used. It is also through humans when buildings become symbolic. As what our professor in arch 16 said, "Humans affect environment at the same time environment affects human so whatever we build it also affects the environment because we create and build the environment."
            Architects and designers have similarities too. The most obvious similarity is that both architects and designers design something, in the case of architects they design spaces while designers design clothes. Another  is that they both deals with measurements. As what is written in an article in Metro Him magazine, “A significant advantage one gets when having clothes made by designers who also happen to make homes it that one is almost sure that construction and measurements are things they take seriously.[2] The similarities between the architect and designer prove that Architecture is connected to Fashion.
            All in all, my understanding with the term architecture is that it’s about designing buildings. The designs of the building differ to different places because of architectural influences.  According what was discussed in arch 16, architecture influences by needs, climate, society, technology and culture. Because of these influences, that’s why architect’s designs of the buildings differ from one country to another. During the discussion of the topic, I realize that architects design buildings not just the way they want it to be; but they consider the five things that influence architecture. It is also through this influence why some of the buildings become symbolic and have meanings for example, according to the discussion in arch 16, if you are rich then your house must be big or humongous and this symbolizes power.

Sources:
[1]Where Fashion and Architecture Collide. Retrieved from http://www.uts.edu.au/new/releases/2007/May/09.html.
[2]Unknown Author. “The Architect as Designer.” Metro Him Vol. 5 Feb- March 2008:  p18. Print

No comments:

Post a Comment

Custom Search